Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno dip is the consistency of salad dressing, not dip. By the way, the manager at Chuy's told me they do not put cilantro in their recipe. I put it in because I used it when I was trying to make the Creamy Jalapeno dip the first time and we liked it. Chuy's also puts cottonseed oil in their Creamy Jalapeno dip...since I couldn't taste it, I didn't add it. Keep in mind that they are not allowed to give out the recipe--the most they could do was confirm the ingredients about which I asked and then tell me if I'd missed any. I missed the cottonseed oil and the tomatillo sauce. If you don't have those, I (personally) don't think it affects the taste very much.
For this batch, I used:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
3 TBS Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 TBS Salsa Verde (green tomatillo sauce)
1/3 cup cilantro + 1 cube of Knorr cilantro
1/3 cup sliced jalapenos
Combine everything except the mayonnaise and blend well. I use a Magic Bullet. Add the mayonnaise and blend again. Pour into a bowl, and you're done! If you refrigerate it for a few hours before serving, it will thicken and the flavors will meld into a more flavorful dip.
This recipe makes a little over 16 servings of 2 TBS each.
- We like hot things, so I often use more than 1/3 cup of jalapenos--but, keep in mind that the dip will get a little hotter as it sits in the fridge.
- I like cilantro--and often put a whole 'bunch' (as bought from the grocery store) in 4 cups of dip.
- Today, I used cilantro from the garden--and I didn't have much. I keep the Knorr cubes in the pantry for times such as these.
- If you really want the dip thick--and prefer not to play with the ratios--use 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and 1 cup of sour cream.
- We eat this with veggies at home. At Chuy's, I use it over lettuce and my kids eat it with the corn tortilla chips.
- One of our favorite ways to use this is as the dressing for Cole Slaw--you wouldn't believe the number of compliments we get on something as simple as shredded cabbage and Creamy Jalapeno dip!