Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Baked Zucchini Chips

I'm always looking for crunchy dippers, and this looks like it will fit the bill.   Please take the time to follow the link for the complete recipe: Vittles & Bits Baked Zucchini Chips 

Picture from Vittles & Bits

Here's how it went when I tried the recipe and, because my oven is broken, I couldn't follow the recipe exactly. 


First, thinly slice your zucchini.  I didn't have any zucchini, so I used yellow squash.



Since my oven is not working, I decided to try two methods of cooking: microwave and dehydrator.  I spread the slices on the trays and sprinkled Badia seasoned salt lightly over the slices. 


Take care that you do not sprinkle too much salt on the slices.  As the original author of the recipe stated, the chips shrink and you need to keep that in mind when seasoning the slices.


These were the chips I did in the microwave.  Two of them burned to a crisp--the ones in the middle cook faster than the ones on the outer edges.  A couple of these turned out crispy, the rest were just 'cooked.'  None were like chips.


These were the ones that I dehydrated.   I let them dehydrate for about 6 hours and then got impatient.  Most of them were crispy, and all of them were tasty!

 

I really think that they would be best baked--as the recipe from Vittles & Bits shows.  I can't wait to try these later on--after my oven has been fixed and the weather cools down a little.  For now, I'll stick with the dehydrator--and try not to be so impatient.

Volley's Notes:
  • Please follow the link for the original recipe:Vittles & Bits Baked Zucchini Chips
  • You can use zucchini OR yellow squash.
  • Don't get impatient--they need time to become crisp.
  • Make sure that you do NOT use too much seasoning.
  • The carb-count will depend on the weight of the zucchini you use.

No comments:

Post a Comment