Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Adventures with Oopsies!

I put off making Oopsie rolls for a long time.  I always thought that making a bread substitute was shooting yourself in the foot when it come to changing a lifestyle.  But, I gave in to what appears to be an overwhelming desire from Atkineers for bread substitutes.  I had to try it.

First, I read the recipe for Oopsie rolls on YourLighterSide.  I plugged in my oven and set it to 300○F to preheat.  I gathered my supplies and tools: 2 mixing bowls, electric mixer, spatula.  Then I put the ingredients on the counter-ready to use.


Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 oz cream cheese

Instructions: Separate the eggs--I put the whites in the ceramic bowl and the yolks in the plastic bowl.  (According to my granny, you should always beat egg whites in a ceramic or glass bowl.)  I used the same electric mixer, so I beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (see picture) before beating the egg yolks and cream cheese.


Since I planned to use the Oopsie rolls for sandwiches, I sprinkled a little onion/garlic powder into the yolk/cheese mixture.


Then I folded the two mixtures together and, using a half-cup ladle, scooped the combined mixture onto parchment paper.  Because I liked seeds on buns, I sprinkled a few chia seeds on top of each bun.  The recipe says that it makes 6, I got 7.  It would have been 8, if I hadn't accidentally made one way too large.


Here comes the adventure part...

I put the Oopsies in the oven.  It was beautifully pre-heated.  I set the timer.  The oven worked for 12 minutes...then the fault code started beeping at me.  AGH!   I reset the fault code and reset the temperature and reset the timer.  It worked for 2 minutes.  I could not get it to keep working.  The Oopsies were a nice size, but still white.  AGH!


I gave up.  I got out the roaster and set it for 300○F.  I moved the parchment paper from the cookie sheets to the roaster.  I had to have 2 layers for cooking, so I inverted the roasting rack to make a shelf.  (I do that at Thanksgiving, too...I put a turkey in one roaster and the side-dishes in another roaster--two layers.)


My cooking time was messed up...I just had to keep checking on them.  This is what they looked like when I took the lid off the roaster.


 I let them sit for a few minutes (as indicated in the recipe) and decided that I'd test them out with a BLT.  OK, it's a BLT with cheese.  How can you have a BLT without cheese?


The Oopsie rolls are thin, so I used two to make one sandwich.  Since they are .6 grams of carbs each, it is 1.2 grams of carbs to make the sandwich.  This sandwich was about 4 nC.  You can't beat it!


Volley's Notes:
  • I admit it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good these things are.  I will make them again. 
  • I'll add more than a few sprinkles of onion/garlic powder next time.  
  • The chia seeds were good, so I'll use those again.
  • I didn't do the nutritional information from SparkPeople this time.  I used the information from YourLighterSide.
Nutritional information per roll: Calories:85 , Carbohydrates: .6 g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbohydrates: .6g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7.5




1 comment:

  1. I tried this again yesterday. The batter ran together, so I poured it all into a pan and made one large piece--thinking that I could cut it into 6 equal pieces. It worked, but the pieces with cut edges did not hold up as well for a sandwich as the regular Oopsies did. I won't do it that way again.

    ReplyDelete