Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

What is "fast food" to you?

To most people, "fast food" means McDonald's, Burger King, or some such 'restaurant.'  But, how did we become a nation subsisting on "food" from quick-cook restaurants?  When I was a child, fast food meant tuna casserole--you only had to wait long enough for the noodles to cook.  How long was that?  Seven minutes!

I remember when the first Burger King opened in Houston.  It was a very big deal, and we looked forward to our first visit with great excitement.  It was planned to coincide with the monthly trip to Sears.  Wow!  Burgers and fries--no soda, because Mom didn't approve of soda.  It was a good thing we enjoyed that meal--because we didn't go back more the 3 or 4 times a YEAR! 

Over time (and 27 years of working at Jack-in-the-Box), I became accustomed to fast food.  I rarely ate the bun on my burger, but, oh! did I enjoy those French fries!  Now that the diabetes has set in and French fries are off the menu, it just doesn't seem worth going to a restaurant for fast food.  Sure, I can have a salad, and a cheeseburger with no bun, but I have to smell those French fries!

I've also reached a place in my life (health-wise) that it is important for me to know what goes into my food.  Fast food restaurants just don't seem to be fun anymore--and my kids don't like them.  But, there are times that we need our food to be fast.  What do I do?  What do you do?

When putting together a fast meal, one of the most important things to do is to prepare!  Make sure you have ingredients, and make sure that you have a few quick-prepare ingredients on hand for those busy days.  Boiled eggs are good to keep on hand, as is ground beef (if you remember to thaw it).  Salad mix is handy, as is shredded cabbage.

Tonight (since I was exhausted frm running a garage sale), I broiled tomatoes, microwaved bacon, and heated a boiled egg (sliced).  It took about 5 minutes total prep.  It wasn't a cheeseburger and French fries, but it was fast & delicious!



What are some of your ideas for "fast food"?

4 comments:

  1. My daughter's favorite fast food is a hamburger patty topped with mustard and cheese. She serves it with a tossed green salad (from an organic herbal mix). It takes about 5 minutes from start to finish (we keep pre-made meat patties in the freezer and use a meat-press for quick cooking).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, Michelle! Hubby and I go out to eat once every two Weeks or so during our biweekly shopping trips. We live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive a little over an hour to Walmart and Costco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes it special...if you go too often, you take it for granted. It sounds like you've got a good plan in place.

      Delete
  3. Acknowledges for paper such a beneficial composition, I stumbled beside your blog besides decipher a limited announce. I want your technique of inscription... Fast Food

    ReplyDelete