Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's Thanksgiving...time for turkey and dressing!

It's been quite a while since I posted, but life has slowed down enough for me to get into the kitchen and try something new.  It's Thanksgiving week, so I decided to low-carb my granny's recipe for cornbread dressing.  As is my wont, I'll post the original recipe before I post the low-carbed version.

Granny's Cornbread Dressing
Serves: 25 (27.6 nC/serving)

Preheat the oven to 350*F.

Ingredients:
2 large rectangular pans of cornbread, toasted & cubed
8 slices of white bread, toasted & cubed
4 cups of chopped white or yellow onions
4 cups of chopped celery
4 cups of sliced green onions
4 boiled eggs, chopped
4 raw eggs, slightly beaten
1 "box" of sage
4 cups chicken or turkey broth
1 stick of butter 

Directions:
Put the cornbread cubes and bread cubes in a LARGE bowl.  In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter and saute the yellow onion and celery until the onion is clear. While the onions and celery are cooking, add the chopped boiled eggs and the green onions to the cornbread cubes.  Stir in the raw eggs.  Add the cooked onions and celery.  Stir well (it's OK if your cubes break down a little).  Mix in the sage--yes, the whole box (this makes a boat-load of dressing).  Add enough chicken broth to moisten the dressing--very moist is OK, but you don't want it soupy.  Press the dressing into a couple of greased baking pans and bake at about 350*F until the top is firm--we like it extra 'crunchy' so I use a shallow pan (like a deep-sided cookie sheet).  If you like moist dressing, bake it in a deep pan with less surface area.  This recipe fits quite well in a turkey roaster--and bakes well in one, too.  It's great for large gatherings.

Sometimes, I'm lazy--and I don't need to make dressing for 20-30 people.  I used to make Stouffer's cornbread stuffing (with broth instead of water) and add 1 boiled egg (chopped) and a couple of sliced green onions to the mixture after it was hot--when it sits to absorb the liquid.  Since I am now violently allergic to corn, I no longer cheat--even with Stouffer's.







No comments:

Post a Comment