Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kids Say the Darndest Things

This bulletin board is posted in the elementary classroom at the DAEP, but it is applicable to all grade levels.

I teach reading and writing at our district's disciplinary alternative education program (DAEP).  I have one Resource (pull-out special education) class and go into the classes of 4 other teachers to provide special education support.  

Last week, while teaching (general education) students how to analyze poetry, I said, "I'm not sure why we have this big push right now, but we are analyzing poetry in 5th grade, 8th grade, 10th grade, and 12th grade. You may not think poetry has much to do with you, but if you listen to music, you use poetry. Song lyrics are poetry, too." 

One of my students said, "Maybe back in the day, Miss, but now song lyrics are mostly clicks and farts."  (What a hoot!)  I told him he was right about Rap, but there was still poetry in jazz, blues, country, and some rock & roll.





It was all I could do to keep from laughing...he would have thought I was laughing at him.  Oh, life can be so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment